Saturday, May 17, 2008

To blog or not to blog

"any utterance is a major assumption of responsibility" Richard Weaver

So I finally got internet at the house a couple of months ago and I thought hey, this will be great! I can keep up with friends and blog- it'll be sweet! But as it turns out I'm not that great at keeping up with people on-line (call me old fashioned but I'd rather just talk to ya on the phone.) I had a bigger and scarier revelation when it came to blogging- It turned out that I had nothing to write about, I didn't feel I had anything to say and that petrified me! I wondered if my life was that dull and commonplace as to have nothing worth sharing. But I've come to believe the lack of subject matter can be linked to three reasons:

1. Fear of accountability.
Not that my blogs would hold any type of weight or garner any type of attention or care but I'm leary of half-baked blogging on serious subject matter and the needless, perhaps dangerous paths they can take us down. So I hesitate to blog about subjects I'm not fairly confident in.

2. Fear of offending.
This probably lends to my non-confrontational nature, I'm scared of arguing, scared I'll be proven wrong (shallow and prideful I know), scared of hurt feelings and hurt friendships. But at the same time I think it's time I come around and start being true to myself regardless of the consequences, I mean Jesus certainly wasn't scared of making enemies and their certainly are people out their who need offending. (Not that all blogs would be of a serious, controversial nature but still,. I've certainly had rants in the past.)

3. Fear of vulnerability.
This third reason constitutes the main reason for my lack of subject matter. I realized I didn't have anything I could write about because their was nothing I was willing to open up about, I wanted to write in an engaging manner without engaging myself. But I'm beginning to realize that only by vulnerability I become myself , and this blog has been a practice of it.

A looming footnote to all of this is asking myself why I want to blog in the first place. Maybe I should go back to reason one, but I think I'll figure that out later.

dig it.

No comments: